You may or may not have asked yourself, if you should be pausing your reps on bench press. Who better to ask than an IPF world record holder in the bench press?! And that’s exactly what Jonnie Candito did in his latest video about whether or not you should pause reps on the bench press. Enjoy the video!
– The intro is f#cking crazy!
– Connor Lutz from Canada is an IPF world record holder in the bench press (in the 83kg/183lbs weight class of the RAW junior division) with a 190kg/419lbs bench press.
– Connor thinks you should pause most of your bench press work and also utilize long (3 second) pauses to force your body to become stable in the bottom position.
– Pausing your bench press at the bottom can help prevent form breakdown (and a higher risk of injury) in the bottom portion of the bench press under heavy loads.
– Touch n go bench press work might still have a place in your training as he briefly explains in the video.
I hope that helps you decide whether or not you should be pausing repetitions on the bench press! I will definitely continue to pause most of my benching.